Taking the first step can be scary, especially if you’re going through a difficult time. If you’ve decided you would like to try counselling and feel I might be the right therapist for you, or would like some more information before you decide, here’s what you can do next:
1) If you have any questions, just email, text or phone me, whichever method of communication you feel most comfortable with.
2) If you’d like, we can then arrange a free first session/consultation. This will give you the chance to ask any more questions or talk a bit about your problem. It will hopefully give you a better idea of how I work.
3) To do this, I’ll give you a quick call just to check a few things (whether you’d like online or telephone counselling, if you have an ok internet connection/phone signal and if you have enough privacy to talk in sessions). If that’s all okay we’ll schedule your first appointment and I’ll email you some more information!
4) For online counselling, I usually use Zoom, so I’ll email you the invite (you just need to click on the link). If you’d rather use a different video call service (like Skype), just let me know and I’ll check if it’s secure enough. For telephone counselling I’ll send you a reminder text about 15 mins before our session.
5) I’ll start the first session/consultation by going through a few things like confidentiality, safety etc (I know it’s hard to listen to this so I’ll try and be quick! I’ll email you the information too). Feel free to ask any questions you might have! I’ll then ask you a few questions so we can check if online/telephone counselling is suitable and safe for you (again, I’ll email these to you before the session so there are no surprises!). If it is and you’d like to continue, then for the rest of the session we can talk about what’s troubling you, so you can get a better idea of what counselling would be like and the way I work. If you’re not sure where to start, I can ask you some questions to get you going.
And there we go! First session complete! It’s very natural to be anxious in first appointments, but I’ll do my best to make it less scary! If you like it, we can book another appointment. These will be £35 each- you just pay after the session via bank transfer (I don’t charge for cancellations or no shows). If you’d like to have a think about it, just get in touch when you’re ready.